This evening I was in great spirits. It was drizling outside and the kids wanted to splash in the puddles in the driveway, okay.. they had a blast and no tantrums when it was time to come inside.
I dont know what type of snack S had at day care, boy was he hungry! He ate a big banana and a full bottle of milk.
Then I settled down when my fil and mil callled from California where they are visiting their daughter-my sil who just had a baby girl.(btw-she has great eye contact-thank god)
My inlaws have been my biggest support so far, so in tune with the diagnosis, our limitations etc.
And my fil reads a lot and has been reading stuff from the internet.
He read this book over the weekend and wanted to share the information with me.
This is apparently one of those books where the parents have recovered their boy by solely their hardwork and research.
My fil was so disappointed in me" you are a doctor and you have not taken care of the diet of your son. these parents have worked so hard and changed the diet and recovered their son. it has been eight months and why have you not done this bare minimum yet... you are always telling us that S is not doing that well , but how do you expect all these therapiest to work if he continuus to get glutein and casein?"
I tried to tell them about time limitatios,limitations at day care which is run by one mother taking care of other NT kids, two jobs, B12 shots that we are doing etc, no use.
"Just change the diet first, I am sure S is going to be fine. "
Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
girl my heart breaks for you !
ReplyDeleteThe truth is the diet - even on the ANDI website ( I am guessing he read the Karen Seroussi book = it gave me great hope in the beginning - thought after trying it diligently for 3 months we saw no dramatic improvement ) only shows improvement ( not total recovery mind you ) in about 60% of the kids
I am suspecting a large chuck of those 60 would make improvement without the diet
I really think the diet works for those kiddos who ASD was CAUSED by these food proteins leaking from the gut
I am so sad that you FIL said these hurtful things
But he is perhaps in the stage when he is desperately seeking a solution and thin one seems easy enough
Just point him to all the research on the diet not working
You are working so hard, do not get down on yourself. If diet alone were recovering our kids, we would all have books out! For some of our kids, diet doesn't play a big role. You have to ask yourself if your child has gut problems, first. For me, my son was already dairy free because of his allergies, so taking away gluten wasn't that tough. Plus, he had terrible stomach issues. I know of several children who are nearly recovered that are not on any diet. Reversing the symptoms of autism is a complex process, so don't you be upset!
ReplyDeleteA "friend" of mine kept pestering me to start my daughter on the diet. She all but insinuated my daughter hadn't recovered because she wasn't on the diet. Well, we finally started the diet, resulting in an immediate end to four years of constipation but no other changes. Meanwhile, "friend" invited us to her New Year's brunch. She ended the meal with a huge dessert table. There were no less than eight kinds of cake and a dozen different kinds of cookies. All the kids were eating cupcakes covered in pastel icing. My daughter couldn't take her eyes off those cupcakes. That day, we blew the diet. A couple of months later, we started enzymes and were able to get off the diet. I've seen kids do extremely well on it, and there is no harm in trying it, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone, and you shouldn't have to be on a guilt trip over it.
ReplyDeletehey aninont - hope you have a great vacation
ReplyDelete