Wednesday, March 11, 2009

sleepless in Rochester

My little baby cannnot sleep and neither can I. This first appeared around thankgiving last year and we reasoned that it may be the increased services, ear aches blah blah ...
But the reason is autism. That same monster.
For some reason, around new year's things were a touch better and all January and Feb/Mar horrible sleep.
So here is the routine..
I get back at 6.00 mostly and have some coffee, S and D have their milk, snack and then we cook and give them dinner in front of the Tv which ends by 8.30 and we make it upstairs to the bedroom by 9.00.
This shocks most Americans since kids go to bed by 7.00 pm. and they finish their dinner by 6.00.
That is certainly not going to happen in our house.
So I lie down with my kids at 9.00 and D falls asleep right away, and S .. well about 1-2 hours. So it is 11.00 pm.
I have noticed that he will keep moving his feet over me, I dont know what that is... is it calming him down or is it arousing him?
Then about 3.00-4.00 am for some reason, one day it is a dry nose, the other a cold, he is awake and giggling, not able to fall asleep.
We both wake up, and go throught the routine, bottle, diaper, nose drops, calming sounds, dark
and he will finally sleep ( only sometimes) by 6.00 and then it is time to wake him up for therapy at 8.00 am.

I look so dreadful at work, I am yawning, look disheveled and dress poorly.
So I got desperate for some sleep and got an appt with a Dan type doctor locally.
More in the next post about how our meeting went with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment