Wednesday, January 14, 2009

evenings

Let's see. Monday evening was ok. I got back at 5.45pm with Divya.Sanjay gets fed at 5.00-5.30 at day care. And we try to give him one egg and yogurt/milk as a snack.My goal is to make every moment a learning/teaching moment.For instance, when dad goes to Sanjay's day care, he will call out his name and Sanjay usually will come to him.He gets some teaching opportunities such as "get shoes", "get jacket""bye bye" waving, "car", sit in car seat" which he is expected to do on his own, and sign"open" for the car door.Dad is getting better and better at this and we are argueing less and less about how to make natural environments and daily routines , interactive moments.These things also help Sanjay generalise what he learns at school.Auditory wise, Sanjay does not recognise many words, even simple things like "car", but when we pair it with pictures he seems to get it. I guess eventually we may not have to show the picture and he will understand the meaning of that word.I guess that is what is auditory processing .In the evening, we are trying the omega 3enriched egg. This was DH's great idea, since on coromega, Sanjay was acting a little hyper, we attributed it to the additives in it... whatever, it freaked me out, so we figured why not supplement omega 3 in a natural fashion?We are also gradually adding almond milk into his regular milk, and the plan is to gradually make him casein free in 6-8 months, I know it sounds long, but that makes it easy on us.Then I want to take the kids to some small store, like rite aide or walgreens or burger king, usually there are no people here and I just let them run around and explore and run behind each other.Again goal is to expose him to various settings. There are no demands placed on him in terms of behavior, eye contact etc,just free play and for me observation. It is also relaxing for me.In a couple of weeks, I will come up with small expectations in these stores. Even when we leave, we are using pecs for dressing, bye bye, car and open door etc. so basically providing more opportunity to practice what learned at ABA.Since we spend about 20 min at the store, wehave time to get back home and do songs/bath or physical play for half hour before dinner and bed time.I cannot expect to do all. That is just silly.After dinner again , free time and cuddly time for bed.The trick is that there should be no TV expect eating/meal time.I am satisfied with this. I feel that I am doing something in the 2-3 hours daily even though it is not all floor time.

No comments:

Post a Comment